Reader InterestUncategorizedWriting challengeWriting Techniques

Writing Challenge Day 9

Today was spent doing the final read through of Misappropriated Means.  My process of editing my work is after I finish writing it, I let it sit for at least one month as I write something else.  Then I’ll go through the novel twice.  The first time I’m checking to ensure that the story line is good and I didn’t leave any holes.  The second time I’m looking for places that I can tighten things up.  At the end of this read-through, I may do a redraft of a particular section if it needs.

Once, I’ve finished my second read through it goes out to an editor and a first reader.  both are looking for ways to improve on the story telling.  Usually it takes about a month for the manuscript to end up back on my desk.  Again, I most likely have written something else in this time frame.  The purpose I make sure that I write something else between edits, is that I want to be able to approach the project with new eyes.  If I’m too caught up in things I’ll miss subtle things that need to be taken care of.

So, this novel has been through two edits already by other people, not counting the two read throughs I gave it before sending it out.  And now I’m amazed at the number of little things that I’m finding.  I’ve found nearly 80 small things that need to be corrected.  How could they have been missed by everyone?  The answer is actually simple.  They’re not misspelled words, and they are close enough that our mind doesn’t register the mistake.  For example, one of the characters is named Brian.  I’ve found several instances where I typed Brain instead.  Little things like that drive me crazy.

At this point, I’ve still got about 3 chapters to go to finish this process.  Once that’s done, I’ll spend an hour fixing all those little goofs and then it’s time to format the book.  I’ll be doing 3 formats with this: EPUB, mobi and PDF.  The link for becoming a reviewer for this book will be live tomorrow.

I made sure that I found a little time to work on Dealer’s Choice tonight as well.  However, after the time I spent with the line editing today, I found it a bit hard to focus on my writing and managed to get only about 1200 words done today.  But, hey.  It’s progress.

Totals so far:

Date……………………New words
1/2/15 …………………3163
1/3/15………………….2872
1/4/15 …………………3161
1/5/15 …………………1107
1/6/15 …………………2819
1/7/15 …………………0
1/8/15………………….5624
1/9/15 …………………1266
Monthly total……….20,025
Yearly total ………….20,025
Completed Novels:     0
Completed Novellas:  0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *